Sunday, June 24, 2007

Northern hemisphere-centric....

Okay,, so quick post tonight.. Sorry.

But I'm sitting in church today and the pastor was talking about John the Baptist's birthday,, and the fact that it coincides with the "Summer" solstice...... Now,, is it just me,, or does it only coincide with the Summer solstice if we are in the northern hemisphere,,,, otherwise it would be the Winter solstice,,, right? I mean,, I know there are Christians in Australia... Right? Why is it that we only "count" those actions that take place in the northern hemisphere? I mean really, what has happened in the southern hemisphere,,,,, beyond the toilet swirling clockwise? Anything? I'm sure that sub-Saharan African nations would argue that a great deal has taken place within their borders.. How about South America? Australia? Antarctica? I mean,, are there even penguins down there? Who knows? All the nature stations seem to concentrate on the North Pole... What about the South Pole? Isn't it equally as intriguing? Perhaps no??

Anyway,,, I'm simply pointing out that certainly the southern hemisphere has as much to offer in the coffers of world history as the northern hemisphere,,,,,,, yet all we hear about is the latter. My question to you is, this,,, why? Why do we (as Americans) only seem to take note of what takes place in the northern hemisphere,, and basically discount anything that happens in the South? It amazes me that 99% of each and every American history book consists solely of events taking place in the northern hemisphere. Everything having to do with Europe,,, Russia,,,, WWI,,, WWII,,, Korea,,, pretty much everything having to do with America as a whole is addressed in American history books as though the world only consists of the northern hemisphere. Is it because of horrendous characters such as Hugo Chavez,,, and the atrocities taking place in the Sudan and elsewhere? Perhaps,, but let us not discount half of our world,,, for they are important too..........

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

You make a great point. I can't remember a time when my local newspaper ever had a story about Africa other than when the African Children's Choir came for a visit. We, as a nation, definitely seem to be pretty obsessed with ourselves and with others in our same sphere of the globe.