Monday, June 4, 2007

Elk Hair Caddis: Explained

The "Elk Hair Caddis" is THE standard caddis imitation in the West. It has caught countless trout, salmon, and other western freshwater gamefish. They are long-lived (compared to mayflies), and often fall or are blown into the river. The fly floats well in rough water, but will work reasonably well in slower water too.

Okay,, so kinda like me, the elk hair caddis is pretty much THE standard when it comes to attracting the world's sexiest North American gamefish. I have been known to attract a beautiful rainbow trout or two to the end of my pole,, if you know what I mean.. But all jokes aside, I (like the caddis fly) hope to live a long life of keeping my head above water even though the winds and strong currents of life can (and will) do their damnedest to blow me off course. And, even when life slows, and I find some semblance of peace in the world, I hope to maintain a sense of purpose, self-worth, thought provacation, and spirituality. By the way, a useful variation is the "Hot Butt Caddis", which has a poly-yarn butt-end in a bright color not found in nature... It's relavance to me is self-explanatory. ;-)

Alright,, you caught me, I'm really not that deep,,,, pertentious, conceited, or even existential. I just like fishing, and elk hair caddis flies catch a ton of fish. They pretty much rock!

Enjoy my blog....

P.S.--My use of unnecessary and apparently extraneous punctuation is actually intentional. I like it, and it's actually a feeble attempt at writing like I talk. I hope you can endure it...

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

This is definitely not what I was expecting, which is probably the shocker response that you were going for. You made me laugh. Did the deeply cerebral, always humble economist get swallowed by you, Mr. Elk Hair Caddis? Or is this the deeply cerebral, always humble economist trying his wings at a new genre?